The key to adventure, or just plain fun for that matter, is your attitude. Having a sense of wonder and delight in the world around you, a willingness to be curious and do something new is what makes something fun. It doesn't matter where you are.When I lived overseas I was always surprised and saddened at the number of people who never ventured past their front gate or their own minds. Unless you are able to embrace the unexpected and set a place for magic, the most wonderful local in the world will be meaningless to you. It will be an empty experience that you have for the sake of having. What matters most is the sense of wonder and appreciation you bring with you. That changes everything.
Give someone enough money and time and an adventure is easily had. Money can buy all kinds of shiny new experiences. Sometimes though, there isn't money or time for a bright new shiny experiences. The good news is that with the right attitude everyday can be an adventure.
Every Day Adventures
- Have a picnic in an unexpected place.
- Write an unabashedly mushy love letter.
- Use your good china on a Tuesday night.
- Eat cake for breakfast.
- Take yourself where you would take an out of town visitor.
- Learn one new thing that makes you excited.
- Take a walk down an unfamiliar street or drive home from work in a completely new way.
- Get lost on a country road.
- Unplug completely for a day, no computers, no phones, no tv, nothing. I dare you to.
- Head over to a farmer’s market or gourmet store and try something new.
- Make a list of the things you liked to do as a kid and do them again. Do them with a kid.
- Drink champagne on Wednesday and watch the sunset with someone you love.
This is a short list. The most important thing is this, live like this is the last moment you have, because it is. Life is an endlessly fascinating cornucopia of new experiences. Isn't that what we really long for when we want an adventure? We want something new, something fresh and unexpected, a different way of seeing the world around us. With the right attitude everyday is an adventure waiting to happen. What kind of adventure will you treat yourself to today? It's either fear or love, baby.